Proposal for Animated Lil Noun Introductory Video

Proposal

Lilnouns animation (animated short)

Summary

We want to create an animated video that shows lil nouns in a three dimensional way while staying true to the pixelated imagery created in the original artwork. Our primary aim to educate others about lilnounsdao and illustrate how to get involved in the dao by providing an introductory video that spotlights discourse, grants, prop house, on chain proposals, relation to other daos, etc (all while remaining as true as possible to the aesthetics of lil’ nouns). To facilitate this, we want to animate lil nouns and make educating others on lil nouns fun. This is nounish because it improves on-boarding flow for new users and makes the initial process of learning lil’ nouns fun and a little less daunting! We want to engage openly in discussion with the dao and so we’ve been engaging in discussion on discord regarding this video, and will have brought this proposal up in discourse before proposing it on chain. This project is currently being built out and we are making decisions as we go.

Current Goals of Project

• Provide a high level overview of lilnounsdao (discourse, grants, prop-house, on chain proposals, relationships to other daos in the noun ecosystem, noun ethos, Coordinape pilot program, etc).

• To create an engaging experience for viewers while sharing valuable information for on-boarding new users.

• Demonstrate that lilnouners can produce competitive high-value content for marketing and education of lil’ nouns.

• Remove any confusion between similar funding requests for newly onboarded users.

• Provide a TLDR of the auction process and how it works using a sequence of shots of a lil’ noun going through the auction process, and choosing the best route for applying for funding based on the project.

• Capture attention of new users and draw new users into the lilnounsdao ecosystem.

• Make audience smile.

Budget

Total: 30 eth

• 20 eth to motiondesign(dot)eth to Ethereum address 0x9655667Ca1203E9A2c8ea2Ed59558F9AD0ACCc87 for scripting the sequence of shots, writing the scenes, converting 2D into 3D, designing the set, creating lighting, editing, VFX, modeling, rigging, animating, oversight of project delivery, as well as audio production.

• 4 eth to lilnoun1112 at 0x3CEb1AE4796f6A9BcD825841a6C86e1cE17B46A4 for creating pixel art that will be used as props used in the scene and pixel art that will be used in set construction(example: playground, nounisouri).

• 6e to Atareh for scripting the narration, voice work, on-screen recording at 0x56383A5Dd01d413fb8B38F2D0FceF5F511F1Dbb9

Who is Motiondesign(dot)eth?

I began diving deeper into DeFi in 2017-18. I grew fond of the community and began reflecting on Ethereum and the community’s ethos. At that point, I knew that I needed to find a place in the Ethereum ecosystem and since I’ve become involved with a few DeFi teams by creating graphics/motion graphics for them. I started working in a DAO, and began full time in crypto. Ethereum has given me the chance to rekindle my childhood passion for animation and graphic design. I knew I was going to be in this space for the long run and, at about this time, I acquired motiondesign.eth and set in motion my plans for entering the space. Since, I have been looking for a project that I could really sink my teeth into. When I discovered Lil Nouns, I immediately fell in love! I love Nouns artwork, and Lil Nouns gave me a way to enter into the Noun community. I fully intend on participating in lilnounsdao and contributing to lilnounsdao for the inevitable future. Seeing the Noun community grow over the months has been amazing and I want nothing more than to be a part of it.

Who is lilnoun1112?

I’m relatively new to Web3 (lilnouns are my first nft!) but I can bring to the table 10+ years of experience in traditional and digital art and 2 years of experience in UI/UX/graphic design in an agency environment. I have worked on a wide variety of projects for high profile clients both locally and internationally (markets including garden tools, dairy products, job market, finance, artists’ tools, etc.). The Nouniverse and especially Lil Nouns are amazing from a design perspective, both the idea and the art style really vibe with me and I’d love to keep building this amazing visual world through multiple projects. Pixel art is a form of abstraction that is very similar to logo or icon design, and I found that it’s a great way to put my skills to use in building for the community.

Who is atareh(dot)eth?

Atareh is a former molecular scientist (3 published papers in scientific journals) turned technical product manager that is now focused on creating educational content in web3. Past accomplishments include: two master’s degrees (Molecular science, and Engineering innovation and entrepreneurship), founder of ed-tech content platform. His work has been featured in prominent news media like Vice, Motherboard, & Huffington Post. In web3, atareh is focused on building foundational educational content with Degen University, through writing, podcasting, and videos. On Twitter, his writing and content have garnered 8+ million impressions. In joining lilnouns, his focus is creating engaging, story-driven educational content that will scale lilnouns to new height.

Workflow

The pixel artwork that lilnoun1112 created gets handed off to motiondesign.eth, who then transforms 2D art into 3D. motiondesign.eth will also create an shot list, storyboard, written script for animation, model and rig lilnouns, create vfx, as well as animate lil nouns in the scene. Currently, making final adjustments to the rig to improve on details of the animation and minimize potential issues during the animation process. Atareh.eth will be recording the on screen content that will serve as part of the animation (as the lil noun clicks through the respective web pages listed in the script). He will also be recording audio files which narrates an overview of how lilnounsdao works. These will be sent to motiondesign.eth later for editing into the animation.

On screen recordings needed/ Click flow

prophouse>lilnounsdao>connect

lilnouns(dot)wtf > DAO >Submit proposal

discord>lil grants> one or two sentences typed in the field saying “we started working on…etc”

discourse> we can use the discourse we made for this project and record that

lilnouns(dot)wtf> Playground

Why animate lil nouns?

Animations have the ability to capture the hearts of our audience. This project aligns with lil nouns ethos and is a collaboration that originated from within lilnounsdao to help communicate the workings of lilnounsdao. This benefits the dao by provide a great way to onboard new users who are maybe not so tech savvy while providing lil nouns with a resource that can quickly and eloquently describe lil nouns to someone who has never heard of lilnouns.

While engaging in the dao over the past month, it is apparent that the dao has an interest in educating users to better help them understand who lil’ nouns are, and how to get involved with the dao while finding the best route possible to achieve your goals as a creator/builder.

How does animating lil nouns help people?

It provides a context to lil nouns by creating a story and bringing lil nouns to life. It allows viewers to feel like a lil noun themselves. It helps improve understanding for new users and provides an opportunity to help market lil nouns that the dao hasn’t yet seen. By using an animated short video to engage our audience, viewers can easily share this video with family and friends who are not as active in crypto and still get a thorough understanding of what lil nouns is, how it relates to nouns, and the noun ecosystem as a whole and how it works.

Current Progress

You can follow progress on this live by looking in the #lilnouns-video channel under projects in the lilnouns discord. The animated segments are being compiled next. After we’ve brought this proposal to discourse… we hope to receive feedback here on discourse and then submit it on chain.

List of Scenes (Draft #2)

[Scene opens in nounisouri]

[Narration and/or subtitles continue throughout the video]

[fun background music]

Scene 1 [delegates and illustrating auction process]

The video begins with a lilnoun car pulling up to a lilnoun house. The lilnoun car has a bunch of nouns in it and one lil noun (lil noun pencil). The nouns are dropping off lil pencil and we follow him into the nounisouri where we meet a bunch of lil nouns who are hanging out and doing things in the nounisouri. The pencil lil noun walks into the nounisouri and starts writing about what he’s been discussing with nouns on a chalkboard while other lil nouns watch… one lil noun raises his hand to ask a question.

Meanwhile, a panda lil noun sits at a table where he sips a coffee, we follow the panda as he hops off his chair (which is oversized for him because he is lil) and he carries his coffee over to the computer where he works. He boots up the computer and opens the browser to [lilnouns(dot)wtf]. He checks the auction and see’s a lilnoun that he loves and reacts by throwing his hands up and then touching his lilnoun face/adjusting his glasses. Shots will flip between closeup of lil noun as he puts in a bid and the computer screen showing a new counter-bid[gradually speed up the shots as the time of the auction runs out]. As the auction nears it’s end the Panda is growing more excited and nervous hoping he will win the auction. At the end of the auction where he wins and a new lil noun appears in the room magically from a bunch of small particles. The lil noun quickly glances over to look at his new lilnoun and they hug.

Talking points (Narration):

• Every 15 minutes, a new lil noun is born. The auction is open and anyone can bid. Submit your bid on-chain

• If someone bids more than you before the auction ends, your ETH is refunded back to your wallet. You have the option to bid higher.

• If someone bids in the last minute, 1 minute is added to the auction time to give everyone an opportunity to send new bids

• At the end of the auction, if you have the highest bid, the lil noun is yours! Settling the auction mints a lil noun to your wallet, and begins a new auction

Scene 1 Summary: This demonstrates the lilnoun auction process and briefly highlights the role of a delegate.

/—- will add an additional auction scene (immediately following the first auction because when the auction was settled another amazingly cute lil noun appears and he has to have it)—-/

Scene 2 [finding the right sort of funding for the project]

The Panda then stretches his legs and walks around the room [while doing a subtle dance] as he makes his way over to his work area in the nounisouri where he has three projects. [these three projects are later used to highlight the most appropriate method for submitting each respective prop] Each project is slightly different, there is a small project [science fair volcano], a medium project [tbd] and a large project [robot arm]. Panda begins tinkering with the science fair volcano [small project]. It erupts and creates a giant mess! He works some more and fixes it. He pulls out a camera and takes some photos of the volcano and then loads the photos into his computer. He enters a chat window and begins typing. While he is typing he is de-materialized into a bunch of small particles which are then sucked into the computer screen. A fellow lil noun standing nearby reacts to him being sucked in the computer screen and looks over with a quick head jerk[setting changes]. The panda then appears in a gymnasium where we that the room is full of other lil nouns who have their projects on display and are talking with other lil nouns about them/getting feedback. He carries his project over to an open booth and sets it up while he is getting prepared lil nouns come and speak to him to ask him about his project and provide feedback. The scene ends with a shot of the panda shaking hands with another lilnoun. [everything in the scene de-materializes and the panda materializes back to his seat in the nounisouri.

Scene 2 summary: brings up the topic that there are many ways to be funded/the art of choosing the best funding method for your project is an art.

• Projects in lilnouns DAO are bucketed into three categories depending on how much funding is needed: small, medium and large

• For small projects, you have the option to apply for prophouse funding, which runs new auctions every 2 weeks. This is usually for projects under 1-2 ETH

• For medium-sized projects, applying for small grants is the best route. Small grants can get you up to 10 ETH in funding

• For large projects that require more than 10 ETH in funding, the best route is to go on-chain.

Scene 3 [illustrating prop house/submitting his project for funding using pro]

Now that the Panda has gotten feedback from other lil nouns, he is ready to submit for funding. The lil noun paces back and forth for a moment and sips his coffee. Then walks over to the computer again. He pulls up the browser window and loads up prophouse. He again is de-materialized into the computer and reappears in a new location - a room full of doorways. Each door representing a different house (lil nouns, nouns, mfers, sharks, nounjapan, nounpunks, etc.) He walks into the lil nouns prop house and as he walks through the doorway he finds himself in a room that resembles a museum. He then finds a place after being guided there by another lil noun and sets his project up for display. [sets his project down and then presses a remote control that puts a HUD around his project highlighting different features of it. Once he sets up his project, he begins looking around the museum and voting on other projects he likes. Each time he votes, a green check mark appears over his shoulder and follows him around as he looks at each project. He finally comes to the end of the museum where he approaches a ballot box. Once he reaches it, he does a lil hop and grabs the check-marks that have been floating above him while he walked through the museum and then places the check-marks into the ballot box. [fade out/in] The scene is of a stage where the ones who have one the round of prop house are being celebrated for winning. But unfortunately Panda didn’t get selected. He walks toward the exit of the museum which is a revolving door and while he pushes himself through the exit, the scene de-materializes and the panda re-materializes back in the nounisouri.

Scene 3 Summary: Shows a small project getting funding using prophouse. discusses how small projects would be best directed toward this funding method.

• If you have a small project that doesn’t need a lot of funding, or you’re running a short pilot, you can decide to apply for prophouse funding

• In prophouse, ideas are submitted and apply for a fixed amount of ETH. Community members can vote for their favourite ideas. The number of projects that gets funded depends on the amount of ETH available for that round

• For example, if there is 10 eth total, and each successful project gets funded with 2 eth, then the top 5 vote getting proposals will automatically be funded.

Scene 4 [illustrating discourse and prepares audience for scene 5]

The lil noun materializes back into the nounisouri from the browser. At this point, a bunch of lil noun friends come to visit him and encourage him to keep trying after not receiving funding from the prop house round. He is relieved that they’ve been so helpful and nice and feels welcome amongst friends. They all do fancy handshakes as they huddle around. Then Island lil noun notices from the corner of his ⌐◨-◨ and see’s the medium sized project that Panda was working on. He gestures to everyone “we can try and help to fix it!” [text box pops up over his head then disappears again]. They decide they want to try and fix it but they don’t know how! “where do we start?” they ask one another [textbox over the head of one of lil nouns]. They begin to try a few ideas but no luck. Wondering what to do next, they walk over to another lil noun who is sitting reading a book {void lilnoun} and ask him to look at the project. He joins the group in collaborating on the project and after a few questions and suggestions [lil nouns interacting using body language to describe things about the project]. Then all of a sudden a light bulb appears over Panda and he knows how to fix it. He shares his idea with his lil noun friends and they all begin collaborating together to make it work. Once they’ve fixed it, they take a bunch of photos of the project and head over to the computer again where they open discourse in hope to discuss their project and get feedback once again. [Panda gets de-materialized again] and he finds himself at a round table full of other lil nouns. He explains his project to everyone who then begin clapping and standing up from the round table. [Panda de-materializes again and reappears back in the nounisouri where he excitedly shares the positive feedback with his friends].

• If you don’t get funding, it’s okay! take feedback and incorporate it and continue forward

• Often, other lilnouners are a great resource and can be very helpful to get you over hurdles.

• Don’t be shy to seek feedback and assistance from other lilnoun members. They might give you feedback, could help unblock you on a specific task, or join your team! Team work is dreamwork

• A great place to get feedback is discourse - post your idea there.

Scene 4 Summary: distinguishes between two options that lil nouns have to engage in discussion the dao (discord and discourse). Highlights inclusivity when working and seeking out feedback from others.

Scene 5 [grant scene]

He runs over to the table where he has paper and a pencil. He starts writing and in big letters writes proposal. He begins writing, and out the window you can see the sun starting to go down. [fadein/out with moving lil nouns all around the table where he works indicating time is moving]. Aerial shot of all lil nouns huddled over a table with blueprints and plans sprawled out on a centrally lit table/in a dimly lit room indicating they are working in the late hours of the night [fade in/out of shots with lil nouns moving in the shot between each fade and the blueprints being added to more and more over time [the scene gradually lights up brighter as the sun rises again]. They finish, and set the blueprint on an easel and all the lil nouns take a group photo next to it. They then head over to the computer where they review the checklist for a grant request and clicks request grant. Some time goes by again using fadein/out effect we’ve used throughout this scene and a popup window showing they were not approved appears on the computer screen. They were unsuccessful and have to try again.

• For lil noun grants, you can submit a proposal in discord + discourse.

• While prophouse is great for small projects and pilots and for individuals, small grants can help fund a pilot or small project with a team

• The small grants committee decides whether your grant will either be approved or needs a bit of restructuring to get feedback

• If you don’t get grant funding, that’s alright. Get some feedback and try again!

Scene 5 Summary: Provides an introduction into a funding option where you might apply for a grant. Highlights the grant proposal process as well as collaboration. Distinguishes between how prop house may better fund an individual working on a proposal and how grants is better equipped to fund a small team. Also will touches on the point that lil nouns can be funded in the request for a grant[the grant in the scene will have a request including lil noun].

Scene 6 [Transition scene: introduction into Large project]

At this point all the lil nouns in the nounisouri are exhausted and lying around on the couch. The lil nouns pause from the work and go outside to play on the playground. On the playground, there are lil nouns building new lil nouns to be included in auctions in the future.

After the lil nouns come back into the nounisouri, the scene shows a lil noun who is sitting on the couch throws a paper airplane, another is playing paper football with another lil noun. The paper airplane flys through the air and hits panda in the head and all of a sudden, panda has an idea! He begins digging through spare parts lying around the nounisouri. He plugs the parts into the large project and it works [ the project begins lighting up ] [Over the shoulder shot of the project looking down at the lil nouns and the reflection from the lights illuminating the faces of lil nouns as they stare up at the project]. [fade out]

Scene 6 Summary: Demonstrates lil nouns trying again after narration just hinted at the topic. Discusses creating new lil nouns.

• On the lilnouns website, try playing around and generating new lilnouns.

• The playground gives you a chance to generate your own lilnoun (for fun) - see which traits are available, and find your favourite lilnoun head

• You can also upload your own art as a trait to see what it would look like as a lilnoun. Some time in the future, the lilnounsdao will be accepting new traits for lilnouns (just like nounsdao just did). Your art could be featured in lilnouns!

Scene 7 [illustrating DAO on chain]

All the lilnouns are huddled around the computer screen, each squishing themselves closer to the computer so that they can see. The lil noun moves his mouse to click on the DAO link in [lilnouns(dot)wtf] while his lil noun friend has hands pushing up and down on his shoulders [excitedly/gently pushing]. He clicks the link and this time all the lil nouns de-materialize into the computer and appear in a courtroom setting where a gavel lil noun is leading a discussion with a ton of lil nouns in a stadium like seating (looks maybe like a Colosseum) around a center stage. The lil nouns walk out onto the stage pulling their large project out on a wagon and wheeling it over to the gavel lil noun. They reach gavel lil noun and each shakes his hand gracefully. [A shot of the audience cheering]. The gavel lil noun raises his hands [ and the jumbo-tron behind him has the word VOTE! pop up] indicating to all the lil nouns in the stadium that it is time to vote. We start to see lil red and green signs with an X or a check mark indicating their vote appear throughout the audience. More green than red lights appear and the vote is passed and fireworks go off. The gavel smacks the podium and the vote is over. They won and they all de-materialize again into the nounisouri. One lil noun walks up to the chalkboard and writes Day 1 and underlines it. The end.

• For large projects, you get to submit a prop onchain.

• Currently, you need 3 lilnouns to submit a prop onchain. This limit increases with each 1000 new lilnouns minted (i.e. when lilnouns # reaches #3000, 4 lil nouns will be required to submit a prop on chain).

• The proposal should have sufficient detail on what it is you’re trying to do, how this benefits the lilnouns DAO, how much funding you’re requesting, and the wallet address where the requested ETH should be transferred

• If this is your first time creating transactions and you need help with creating transactions for the proposal, feel free to ask someone more experienced in the DAO for help. There are many willing hands available.

• When you’re ready to put your proposal on chain, head over to lilnouns(dot)wtf/dao and submit it

• (can show the full process of going on chain)

Scene 7 Summary: Highlights how to submit proposals on chain and how because it was a larger group working on the project and because it was a bigger project than the others that going onchain was the best option.

I just finished reading the entire proposal and I picked up some red flags / lack of transparency, so here are my questions to get this conversation started and iron out the proposal:

These are all directed to @motiondesign.eth

1. Where are you based ?
    -I ask because I am trying to understand your 20 ETH pay for this gig.
    I am based in New York, where average pay for 3D gigs are 400-500 / a day. Even if you are a Pixar lever animator, and we balloon that up to $600/ a day, and you work on this for 4 weeks, the math doesn’t add up to the 20 ETH ($20,000) you are asking for.

2 How long is this video?
Every single 3D motion gig I have ever done has been calculated on final length of the video. I did not find any length of how long this video is suppose to be, which is the first key element in determining how long a project should take to complete.

1. Where is your motion graphics demo reel ?
    I went on your website and all I found was a large sum of 3D renders. I am looking for a demo reel showcasing your motion skills in an animated narrative.
    Also since you are not doxed, I am unable to find you to see past client work, if available.

2. What software are you video editing on?
    Further, what have you video edited before? Do you have any samples of videos (2:00+ min) you have video edited before?

3. What software are you creating VFX on?
    After Effects, Maya, etc

4. What software are you doing audio production on?
    Premier Pro, Pro Tools, Audition, etc

5. What is your background regarding video production?
    I ask because 80% of the proposal was basically a script, which means nothing to non production folks. A simple one-sheet would have done a better job at carrying over your vision, with the rest of the proposal talking about a scheduled timeline and appropriate distribution of funds in pre-production, production, and post production.
    The only technical aspect of the entire proposal was glossed over in the budget.

6. Why are you billing ‘converting 2D into 3D, designed a set, creating lighting, modeling, animating’ as separate bullet points?
    I ask this because all of these elements fall under the umbrella category of 'Creating a 3D video". I have never split my duties into subcategories.
    This should have been 90% of the proposal in my opinion. A clear separation between pre-production, production, and post production. Have you ever produced something at this scale before?

As this stands, I will be voting a strong NO if this proposal goes on chain.
If the graphics you have posted over in lilnouns-video are any indication of your animation / rigging skills, I personally do not think a 20 ETH ($20,00) pay justifies the production value.

Further, I will be creating a counter proposal for 1/3 of the price, 10 ETH, to submit.
My background is in Digital Video Production (literally my degree) and I have been working in post-production for 10 years.
I feel I can bring a stronger proposal on the table with higher production value for a more efficient price. The DAO can then decide what they think is a stronger proposal.

Many of the following questions have been posed to motiondesign.eth however, some apply to the project as a whole as well. Questions directed to motiondesign.eth specifically labeled with an [m].

Q: Where are you based ? [m]
A: I will not be doxing myself. I realize that location has some influence on pricing but isn’t a primary factor for pricing out the quote.

Using eight working hours per day (five working days per week, twenty working days per month), the approximate completion time is ninety-five days or seven-hundred-and-sixty hours. If you hire a mid-level freelancer charging you $45 per hour, the cost would be $34,200 for a few minutes of high-quality 3D animation with complex characters and relatively quick rendering time. Product animation is likely to cost less due to a lower level of complexity, but quality should remain equally good. A freelancer may negotiate the price even further in case of a small budget, such as a longer completion time or lower resolution render.

I am currently planning on rendering in 2K. Dimensions have not been decided.

I believe the request is within reason given all of the following jobs/tasks are included in my responsibilities for the job: Creative Proposal/Script/Storyboard/3d /complex rigging/animation/sound effects/post-edit/rendering as well as spearheading the project(organizing, leading discussions, taking materials built by teammates in the group and preparing/editing into the work).

Here is a link that provides a great overview of 3d animation and production:

This resource has been trusted by US Army Corps of Engineers, Rivian, PBS, Tiffany & Co., Boston consulting Group, Target, and many others and has been published in The New York Times, Reuters, NBC News, Huffpost, Forbes, Bloomberg Business, Popular Mechanics, New York Post, Business insider and US News.

Q: How long is this video?
A: The video is projected to be 3-5 minutes long.

Q: Where is your motion graphics demo reel? [m]
A: I’ve included examples of my work in #animatedlilnounsvideo. We are planning to submit a pre- video video when we submit the proposal on chain. A storyboard sequence of the remaining scenes will follow shortly after. We will animate the entire first scene as if it were a final cut and use this as our demo reel for evidence to justify the amount for the work.

Q: Also, since you are not doxed, I am unable to find you to see past client work, if available. [m]

A: I’ve shared some previous work I’ve done for other DAOs in the web3 ecosystem in #animatedlilnounsvideo (scroll to the beginning of the conversation).

Given the question, I feel it is necessary that mentioning the greatest benefit of a DAO is that it empowers builders not to have to rely on previous work to win a vote for a proposal. In a DAO, builders have the advantage of being able to produce content and use the project itself to demonstrate competency. While it benefits contributors to have a resume and a work background demonstrating their talents, it isn’t actually necessary. You can build the things you want and use that as your evidence for receiving funding. As @bkraaus eloquently stated while participating in discussion on discord, “as per prior experience <> personally I refrain pointing anything to prior experience in a decentralized environment. it doesn’t matter who you are, doesn’t matter how many XYZ years of experience you’ve got, doesn’t matter where you are based - deliverables and future value is what matters”.

Q: What software are you video editing on? Further, what have you video edited before? Do you have any samples of videos (2:00+ min) you have video edited before? [m]
A: The last question here seems to repeat often but for the sake of responding to each question individually - examples of my work are in #animatedlilnounsvideo but we will also be providing an example of the first scene built out to help support our proposal and reassure the dao that we are able to deliver.

No, I have no examples I can show with editing longer than two minutes. When creating animations in the past videos have been kept to 45-76 seconds by choice and given scenes average this amount of time, I am not concerned that this is a larger task than I am able to manage.

Q: What software are you creating VFX on? [m]
A: I am using cinema 4d with the gamut of plugins. I use adobe products for pre- and post- editing which also contains a toolkit of plugins as well.

Q: What software are you doing audio production on?[m]
A: Logic Pro – however, I have a range of software that I use in various circumstances. Full sound editing capabilities and Sound Design capabilities. As well as a complete studio with every instrument at our disposal as well as a history of performing at Carnegie Hall.

Q: What is your background regarding video production? (I ask because 80% of the proposal was basically a script) [m]
A: I have been doing graphic design since I was a child. I’ve also was responsible for the layout for in-house content for the national park service for a brief time while attending college. In 2017, I saw the opportunity that I could pivot my career from medicine and pursue my childhood passion. I rigorously began learning animation and graphic design. I build out a production studio. I’ve focused and dedicated every weekday/ weekend, 12-16 hours a day to learning about animation as well as defi.

In regard to the comment that 80% of the proposal is a script…I wrote the script because you have to start somewhere. Sometimes you just need to get your thoughts out there and share them with the community. We shared it on discourse to get feedback, assist the team in understanding project as we have been honing in on the overall the vision of the project. These technical aspects outlined here can be included on the proposal when we go on chain.

Q: Why are you billing ‘converting 2D into 3D, designed a set, creating lighting, modeling, animating’ as separate bullet points? I ask this because all of these elements fall under the umbrella category of 'Creating a 3D video". I have never split my duties into subcategories. [m]

A: We’ve started conceptualizing this project recently. You’re right this proposal is lacking in a few aspects and we intend to make revisions before going on-chain. But, the aim here is to break down the project into it’s parts of the workflow (story-boarding, scripting, modeling, rigging, materials, texturing, sound design and rendering) and highlight how teammates will be working together. While ‘converting 2d into 3d’ is better to be placed under the category of modeling, the reason for including this was to highlight the working relationship between lilnoun1112 and motiondesign.eth when building the project. Similarly, we pointed out the working relationship between atareh.eth and motiondesign.eth.

Q: This should have been 90% of the proposal in my opinion. A clear separation between pre-production, production, and post production. [m]
A: We will take this into consideration when redrafting the proposal before bringing it on chain.

For now, here is a look at a production process

First stage: pre-production

Script and storyboard – initial stages of the production process. Provides a better visualization and helps team members understand flow of the video as well as to improve coordination between team members.

There are two scripts in this project. For example, atareh.eth has scripted his narration which he will record describing the educational points we want to convey to the audience. There is also scripting of the animation sequence which is later created into a storyboard sequence of shots to assist in visualizing the final results.

Modeling Scene and Characters – Modeling complex characters where the topology assists in creating good movements for the characters. This stage will also include creation of pixel art which is later converted into to a model and then topology optimized for animation. (2-4 weeks)

Textures and materials – Creating 2D images that are baked into the material. The largest amount of time will be in regard to materials for visual effects. (3 days to 1 week maximum for all material creation)

Rigging and Pre-animation prep: Rigging characters to optimize for performance and designed for natural movements. This can take 2 months however, it will be significantly less because most will be completed prior to going on chain with the proposal (as pre-animation steps are completed at this point and general movements defined).

Second Stage: production

Animation: The model has gone through the pre-animation stages. Once we have staged the scene we will be able to animate out the scene. Once we reached this point, I estimate “staging the animation of the scene” should take 1-2 weeks.

Lighting: Each scene is slightly different in regard to lighting. The scene that will take the longest to light will be scene 5. (Estimating 3 days - 1 week)

Visual Effects (VFX) and composite: Visual effects for this project include dematerialization of lil noun and getting sucked into the computer screen, (lava) volcano erupting and fireworks. I’ve already begun completing the more complex aspects of creating these visual effects so once we bring them into the scene, it shouldn’t take longer than 1-2 weeks.

Third stage post production

Sound effects: 1 week (or longer if we are including the suggestion to include the dao on decision for which theme song we use. If there are revisions requested by the dao then the time will extend.

Rendering: The longest portion of this task is the rendering of the visual effects which include the lil noun being sucked into the computer, and fireworks. I estimate 1 week maximum for all rendering.

Post- render edits: This is where we collect all of the rendered shots and compile them into scenes. From here, we will edit the shots within a scene, then we will edit the scenes together. (1-2 weeks).

Review and final adjustments: At this point there will be very little left to do. Smaller changes to audio and editing can be made. 1 week

We also want to reserve some flexibility with the timeline to allow for interacting with the dao. We want to provide the dao with as much creative input/interaction with the builders as we can.

We’ve begun compiling a list of assets that lilnoun1112 will be pixelating:

Q: How long is each scene duration?

42-72 seconds long

Q: how long does production take for one scene?

A: Each scene is different. And, there is collaboration between three individuals will be required, and we will be working simultaneously on these parts while we are coordinating.

After participating in discussion on discord, the feedback suggested that we should provide a pre-video video. We are planning to have the first scene laid out to provide a glimpse into what the whole completed video would look like. We are also planning to provide a storyboard for the remaining scenes to be completed (rough sketches, low fidelity).

Each scene is slightly different so production times may vary slightly per scene with regard to complexity. Additionally, some steps in the table above are used throughout all the scenes. In general, estimating the longest time for the entire project should be approximately 3-4 months however, given that many of these tasks will be completed prior to submitting on chain, time for the project will be less than this. It would be more accurate to say that it will be closer to 2-3 months from the point of funding and final turnover of the project.

Because we are creating the pre-video video, many of the more time intensive tasks will have been sorted out before going on-chain. But in general, the table above is a good reference for stages of the project and the timeline. The rigging stages will have been completed when we move on chain with the proposal. There will still be some rigging later as there are differences per scene but all of the details of the rigging will have been determined (so timeline for rigging at this stage will be hours). and therefore, the turnover time will have been drastically reduced (similar idea can be applied to modeling as well).

Q: how long does it take to ship the full product?

A: If we were to present the proposal on chain today 2-3 months.

Q: how long is the video itself? can community for e.g. vote on the background music you’re using and/or any other variables?
A: great idea! We love the idea of including the dao in the decision making as much as possible. I could provide three options and if one of those stood out then we can go with that one/or if they all had strong opposition then I can continue to develop/use feedback and revise.

Q: Have you ever produced something at this scale before?
A: I haven’t produced a 3–5 minute edited video. I have completed smaller videos averaging 45 second to 76 seconds. As each scene resembles this, I intend to edit each first by scene then edit them as a video.

Referenced table

This is my response which I have already posted on Discourse:

Making a TLDR of @MOTION answers:

1. Doesn’t want to answer question because he knows people can then compare rates. Even if he was base in NY, his rate would be too inflated.

2. You are asking for 2 -3 MONTHS to create a 3 minute video. Got it.

3. Doesn’t provide a Demo Reel, which is the basic proof of work for any aspiring Motion Graphics artist. Simply doesn’t have one.

4. Doesn’t have any related previous work available. No proof of work. No one can verify any previous samples of similar projects (3-5 min video) Wishes to get paid at “mid-level” ( more like higher level) salary.

5 No, he said "I have no examples I can show with editing longer than two minutes "
Has never done a piece longer than 2 minutes. Has never animated anything with a narrative. Somehow thinks he can handle a 3-5 minute 3D animated video.

1. Didn’t answer question, deflected back to Cinema 4D, didn’t name Adobe VFX software.

2. Uses Logic Pro (Apple Software) + apps. Can’t provide samples.

3. Background in animation: Dropped out of Medical School in 2017. Is “pursing his dream’ of becoming motion graphic artist.
    Wrote a script because 'You have to start somewhere”.

9 Admits proposal is “lacking a few aspect”
Will still go “on chain” instead of proof work with small projects via Lil Grants or Prop House.

1. Will take feedback into “consideration” despite not wanting to start with a smaller project. This is feedback that has already been given to him by MULTIPLE Lil Noun DAO members.

Lil Noun DAO, please make your own conclusions. For me, this is such a weak attempt to profit from the DAO without any actual honesty or care to provide value to the DAO.

If the DAO absolutely NEEDS a 3-5 minute video from someone who is going to learn on the fly, and charge 30 ETH for doing so, go right ahead. This proposal will not have my vote.

We appreciate your constructive feedback and will consider your points when drafting our proposal on chain.

1 Like